Top Advantages of 2 and 3-Bedroom Granny Flat Designs
A lot of people think of granny flats being a one bedroom dwelling, but with a little creative design, you can easily have 2-3 bedrooms in your second dwelling. Having more bedrooms can open up the possibilities of your new granny flat, whether you’re looking to increase your rental yield or you’re building to accommodate family members.
So, let’s have a look at the advantages of both 2 and 3-bedroom granny flats, and some of the best ways you can make the most of these extra rooms.
How Big Can My Granny Flat Be?
The main parameter you need to keep in mind is how big your granny flat can be.
The legal maximum house area for a granny flat is 60m2, but depending on your property, it may be smaller. Whatever the size, it’s always important to have this in the back of your mind when coming up with design plans. We also recommend having a chat to your local council or your local experts, like Granny Flat Solutions, about any other regulations you need to be aware of that could impact your design or build.
While having a size limit may seem constricting at first glance, you’ll be surprised how much you can achieve with that space with a little imagination, good design choices and some friendly, expert guidance.
Two Bedroom Granny Flats
Here at Granny Flat Solutions, we’ve found two-bedroom designs to be the most popular with our clients. Two bedrooms are a great middle ground, allowing tenants their own private space and plenty of communal living area.
We understand change is a part of life, so you’ll want a granny flat that has flexibility. Say one of your children find their own place, you can turn the second bedroom into study or a guest room.
Two bedroom granny flats are also a great opportunity for anyone looking to make some extra money through renting. With one bedroom, you can only really rent out to a single person or people comfortable sharing a room, like a couple, which can really limit who you can rent to. Meanwhile, two separate bedrooms allows you to rent to two people who aren’t already acquainted or don’t want to share a bedroom (friends, parent and child, etc), giving you a lot more options when it comes to tenants.
Here are just a few potential uses for your two bedroom granny flat:
- Superb for anyone looking to create an Airbnb getaway.
- Excellent for property investment
- Accommodation for older teens or adult children saving for their own place.
- Great for grandparents who want to live closer to the grandkids while still having their own living space.
- Live near a university? Make some extra money providing student accommodation.
- An option for elder relatives, so they can live close while keeping independence.
By simply adding a second bedroom, you will enhance the potential of your granny flat.
Three Bedroom Granny Flats
If you’ve got the yard space for it, a three bedroom granny flat is fantastic for anyone looking for a second dwelling big enough to house an entire family.
More bedrooms offer more flexibility when it comes to guests, so it’s a cost effective way to get the benefits of a second house. Whether you have a friend staying for the weekend, or overseas family coming for a month, you’ll be able to accommodate them.
A three bedroom granny flat is a particularly popular choice for those looking to rent out the space. As an Airbnb or student accommodation, having that third bedroom could be the key to getting the most out of your investment.
In the right location, you can really maximise your rental yield, meaning you could make thousands every month. This is especially true in areas where accommodation is in high demand, like near a university, tourist destination or business centre.
The other big consideration is the available space. If you’re looking to have three bedrooms, you’re going to have to give up some living space or kitchen area. Have a chat to our expert team and we can help with design, tell you what’s popular, and recommend the best design choices for you.
Is a two or three storey granny flat right for you?
After reading the above, are you left at a bit of a loss as to which number of bedrooms is the “best choice”?
Some questions to ask yourself to help make the right decision for you include:
- What’s the key reason I’m building this granny flat? Maybe it’s for your parents, or it could be to rent out to tenants. You may have multiple uses in mind. Whatever your reason, with our expert guidance, we can help you create a design to meet your goals.
- Do you have a specific tenant in mind, what will make them most comfortable in their day to day lives? If not, what will appeal to those looking to rent?
- Is your granny flat just for accommodation, or would you like to use it for recreational or work purposes as well?
- If you’re concerned about space, would your granny flat suit a two-storey design in order to fit an additional bedroom?
The answer to whether a two or three bedroom granny flat is best really comes down to the individual and what they’re after. The great news is you’ve got Granny Flats Solutions here to help you on your journey.
With over 35 years of experience in the Sydney area, we’ve got all the know how you’ll need to take you from conception to construction to you having your dream granny flat.
To get started on your own granny flat or for any queries get in touch by clicking here or call us at 1300 259 677.