The 4 Best Smart Home Gadgets for Granny Flats
The future is here and it’s easy to bring your granny flat up to date with the latest smart home gadgets.
Over the last decade, smart devices have become an integral part of our lives, helping us stay connected and making our lives easier. Smart Homes are becoming the norm, and there’s no reason for your granny flat to miss out, but with so many products out there, it’s easy to be overwhelmed and left wondering where to start.
Why Turn My Granny Flat into a Smart Home Granny Flat?
Technology has come a long way and with all the constant advancements, it’s easy to feel a little left behind, like it’s all gotten too complicated. The good news is that as Smart Home devices get more advanced, they also become more user friendly.
Having said all that, here are some the advantages of turning your granny flat into a Smart home Granny Flat:
- Time saving
If you’re looking to rent out your granny flat, these features will make your lodgings stand out in the market (and worth a little bit more).
- Philips Hue smart light bulbs
We’ve all wandered blindly through the house in the middle of the night, bumping into furniture and tripping on the dog as we fumble for that pesky light switch. What if you could save all this trouble by using your phone or voice command to light up your home?
Smart lighting is the advanced, yet convenient, way to bring light to your granny flat! Wall switches can be a thing of the past, with smart lights allowing you to operate your lights through your phone, smart hub, home assistant and/or another smart device.
Philips Hue Smart Light Bulbs come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, so you’ll be able to find the right bulb for you. Smart bulbs will fit into most standard light fixtures, so if you’re currently using regular lightbulbs, you should be able to convert to smart bulbs without the need to buy new fittings.
Some of the features of Smart Light Bulbs include:
- Everything can be done from your app including turning lights on and off, dimming and even mood lighting.
- Wi-Fi enabled.
- Bluetooth enabled – you can operate the bulbs from your phone or apple phone. Handy for those times the Wi-Fi is playing up.
- Voice Activation
- Connectivity – your lights can be connected to your other smart home devices helping you create a complete smart home experience
While a hue bridge (Phillips’ specific control panel) is not essential to operate your smart bulb, it will open up more features to you. Whether you need these extras will depend on your own lifestyle and preferences.
- Arlo Pro 4 Security Camera
Whether you’re planning to rent out your granny flat or if it’s a place your loved ones, you’ll want that extra bit of security to ensure everyone’s safety.
Security cameras have come a long way in the smart device age, and we recommend the Arlo Pro 4, a smart camera that combines excellent 2K video quality and ease of installation.
The Arlo Pro 4 is ideal for medium to large areas, having a viewing radius of 160 degrees (this can be reduced if you don’t need to cover that much area).
This camera is not only weather resistant, but it can also record high-quality, colour footage during the night. No matter what the time or the weather conditions, you can be sure the Arlo Pro will capture everything.
In terms of cost, the Arlo Pro 4 can range between $250-300 for a single camera. You can buy packages that include multiple cameras as well, and these can cost up to $1,000 for a 4 pack. You have to pay a subscription if you wish to access the recorded video, but this does provide access to the last 30 days’ worth of footage.
- Eufy Video Doorbell 2K
Even the humble door has been brought into the 21st century with smart home technology!
You won’t have to worry about missing someone at the door again (or even have to wonder if you heard a knock just now). Just some of the features of the Eufy Video Doorbell are:
- Battery powered system with a 3-6 month lifespan
- Two cameras – one great for seeing who’s at the door, the other ideal for seeing if you’ve got parcels. Both have 2K video quality, which provides you sharp picture quality with excellent clarity.
- No monthly subscriptions!
- Motion sensing technology to distinguish people from objects, providing you real time alerts when someone approaches your door.
The Eufy Video Doorbell will cost you between $200-$280, depending on where you buy from.
- August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
Smart locks are the next step in home security, allowing you to dispense with the physical house key.
There are a wide range of smart locks out there, but our recommendation is the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock, the pros of which are:
- Connects to wi-fi instantly. No need for an extra bridge or control panel, giving you easy connection without the fuss.
- Auto lock and unlock. Your apple watch or your phone is the key. With the smart lock automatically locking behind you, you’ll no longer need to worry about whether you’ve remembered to lock the door.
- Voice assistant. You can operate the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock through your voice.
- Operates through August App.
- Activity time allows you to see when visitors come and go.
- Allows you to manage your keys from anywhere. Through the app, you can send a key to someone. For example, perhaps you’re away on holiday and need someone to check on your home. You can also cancel keys and don’t have worry about lost keys or who may have a copy.
- Connect to your Smart thermostat so your air-con turns off when you leave, and turns back on again when you return.
The August Wi-Fi lock costs between $220-$320, depending on where you buy from and what is included with your system.
Take your granny flat to the next level.
These are just a few of the ways you can take your granny flat to the next level. Smart home devices can create a comfortable, secure, easy to manage space for the occupants and help give you peace of mind.
Have some questions or just want to learn more? Granny Flat Solutions are the granny flat specialists with a wide range of award-winning designs and the expertise to handle your next project. Our professional team can guide you every step of the way and deliver a finished product that you’ll be proud of.
Build with the Best & Experience the Difference for yourself!
Ready to start your building journey? Chat to our team of experts today and get a FREE personalised quoteFind Out More