Get in touch
with us today…

Contact us for a private viewing to see a granny flat in your area today!

    How can we help you?

    Obligation-Free Site Assessment & Quote (on property)
    Obligation-Free Site Assessment (online)
    Initial Enquiry
    Customer Guide
    Exclusive Open Home Invitations


    Employment Opportunities

    We are always open to hiring motivated and creative workers who share our same passion to provide high-quality dwellings and attentive customer service.

    If you are interested, please submit your details and resume.

      Position of interest*

      Sales Representative
      Designer / Architect
      Approvals Co-Ordinator / Administration
      Project Manager

      Attach Resume

      Max file size 10MB.

      Captcha* + 75 = 81

      Starter Guide

      There are a few things to consider before building a Granny Flat.

      Does my block comply? → CDC or DA? → Information about your property →

      1. Does my block comply?

      Since the release of the NSW Affordable Housing State Environment Planning Policy (SEPP) in 2009, residential home-owners can now have their granny flat approved through a private certifier if their property meets the Complying Development Certificate (CDC) requirements.


      SizeSquare metres
      Frontage Lineal metres
      Coverage %
      Total Floor Area
      including HouseSquare metres
      SetbackLineal metres
      SetbackLineal metres
      450-600m2 12m 50% 330m2 0.9m 3m 20%
      600-900m2 12m 50% 380m2 0.9m 3m 25%
      900-1500m2 15m 40% 430m2 1.5m 5m 35%
      >1500m2 18m 30% 430m2 2.5m 10m 45%


      Additional CDC Requirements
      • No more than 1 Granny Flat premissible per lot.
        A Granny Flat is classified as a ‘secondary dwelling’, and there cannot be two ‘secondary dwellings on one lot’.
      • There must be a ‘primary dwelling’ (main house) established on, or approved for, the property.
      • Must allow for a 24m2 courtyard space (in addition to the 60m2 Granny Flat), with an area minimum 4m wide.
        This is an open space, and can be placed within the property setbacks.
      • For battle-axe blocks, an access handle of at least 3m wide is required

      Read more about CDC requirements →



      2. CDC or DA?

      If your property does not meet all the requirements listed above, it may still be possible to have your Granny Flat approved through a Development Application (DA). Development Applications are lodged to your local council. Each council has a different Development Control Plan (DCP), meaning the rules and regulations permissible for building a Granny Flat vary accross each council area.

      Granny Flat Solutions has been dealing with building approvals for over 35 years, and know all the ins-and-outs of each council. We closely monitor each council area’s DCP to ensure our information is current and correct. Our experienced design consultants will take care of this whole process for you and submit all applications and documents on your behalf.

      To determine whether to lodge through a CDC or a DA, an (obligation-free) on-site assessment must be carried out for your property. Our site assessors have tools and programs that allow us to review your property information to help make this decision.

      Read more about approvals →



      3. Information about your property

      Prior to an on-site assessment, we strongly suggest you have a Section 10.7 Certificate, Sewer Diagram & Title.

      We take pride in upholding our reputation as an honest and transparent builder and will always come prepared when meeting with you. Prior to any initial on-site assessments, our site assessors will always conduct thorough research on your property by utilising planning and service tools to identify if there are are apparent restrictions or limitations that affect the budget, location or likelihood of approval. While these planning and service tools are accurate in the information they provide, there are limitations to the detail allowed for release.

      When providing you with a quote, we want to make sure that any potential site issues are identified and communicated with you from the first assessment. To assist us in doing this for you, we recommend you have the following documents:


      Section 10.7 Certificate

      A Section 10.7 is a ‘Planning Certificate’ that gives information your property’s development potential, detailing restrictions and zoning. Previously known as a ‘Section 149 Certificate’, this document can be found in your contract from when you first purchased the property; however, if you purchased your property more than 6-12months ago, we recommend purchasing a new one from your local council. Council areas of zoning, rules and regulations are often changing and it is important that information about your property is current and accurate.


      Sewer Diagram

      A Sewer Diagram shows where the private waterways and main sewer lines are on the property. This document can be found in the contract of sale, or obtained from the ‘Sydney Water Tap In’ website.

      When building a Granny Flat, we typically connect any plumbing connections to your private waterways – the easiest and most cost-effective option. All main sewer lines are owned and protected by Sydney Water. Main sewer lines outside of your property boundaries are of no concern; however, if inside property boundaries, depending on the location, it may effect where you can build and associated costs. Every main sewer line has a ‘zone of influence’, determined by the sewer’s depth. If a main sewer line is present in the proposed location of a Granny Flat, we can either choose to avoid the zone of influence, or build within it.

      • Avoiding the Zone of Influence:
        Depending on the size of the zone of influence, the location of the sewer line and the remaining space available on the property, choosing to build outside the zone of influence is the most cost-effective option.
      • Building within the Zone of Influence:
        As Sydney Water is the legal owner of the sewer line, if building within the zone of influence, we are required to do a sewer encasement (enveloping the sewer line with concrete). A sewer encasement must span the length of the building impacting the zone of influence, with an extra metre on either side. For example, if your Granny Flat is 6m within the zone of influence, we will have to encase 8m of sewer.
        Having a main sewer line in your proposed build location is no cause for defeat. Our designers are experienced in creating budget-friendly, custom floor plans to minimally impact the zone of influence and reduce the amount of encasing required.


      Title Search

      A Title Search is simply a ‘Certificate of Title’ for your property. It outlines the legal owner(s) of the property, as well as any easements or covenants (if applicable) that may effect how and where we build, or whether can build at all.

      • Easements:
        Having an easement on your property means that another party, or parties, have a right cross or otherwise use that portion of your land. ‘Right of Carriageway’ and stormwater-related easements are most commonly seen. If there is an easement on your property, it is illegal to build over it without obtaining the proper permissions.
      • Covenants:
        A covenant is a binding agreement that creates an obligation on the owner of the property. Common forms of covenants include (but are not limited to); maintaining a ‘look’ or aesthetic for the property (ie. materials and colours allowed for the facade), maintaining drainage systems and permissible structures, etc.
        If you have a covenant on your property, it is possible to have it removed; either through the beneficiary of the covenant, or by the Lands Chamber of the Upper Tribunal.

      In New South Wales title information is controlled by Land Registry Services. Your contract of sale will have a copy of your Title. If you cannot find your contract of sale, a copy can be purchased through an online legal service, such a triSearch.

      Do I have to get all these documents myself?

      No. Our customer service team are more than happy to obtain these documents on your behalf.
      Please let us know if you would like us to do so when speaking with someone from our team.

      Ready to Get Started?

      Book your obligation-free site assessment and quote, or call us for a chat!

      See for yourself the reason why Granny Flat Solutions is the only multi-award winning granny flat company, and Sydney’s favourite builder.
      Contact us today to get started, and let us help make your dream a reality.
      Click Here to Get Started →

      You might also like to see our…

      Designer Range Granny Flats

      Designer Range Granny Flats

      Read More →
      Guide to Getting Started Granny Flat

      Guide to Getting Started

      Read More →

      Build with the Best

      Granny Flat Solutions is the ONLY multi-award winning granny flat company, with over 13 awards under our belt.

      “Experience the difference for yourself.”

      Call now to book your obligation free site inspection and quote with our friendly staff.

      What our customers say